Saturday, August 17, 2013

Egg Thieves

This blog post will be about egg thieves. These are the only predators I have dealt with thankfully , so far no chicken killing predators have made an appearance. So here are some of the egg thieves I have dealt with.



Here are the thieves that have stole the most of my eggs.

Squirrels: They may look sweet and innocent but I have lost many eggs to these furry tailed rats. I have tried to prevent them with screen and many other deterrents but the only effective way I have found to deal with them is to exterminate them. I use a pellet gun. May leave pieces of shell on outside of pen.

Snakes: Nearly impossible to keep out. They can eat up to seven eggs at one time if given the opportunity. You pretty much have to catch it in the act as it leaves no sign of the eggs.

Gophers: These rodents can tunnel under the pen. The only way to know for sure if it's been in there is to find it's hole. It will be well hidden ( look behind your nesting boxes just in case ) . Another sign that it's been is there is it will leave empty egg shell with a hole in it.

These are the only Egg Thieves I have dealt with. With squirrels doing the most damage. Do you have any animals stealing your eggs ? Feel free to share in the comments.

               Chickenman       
Edit 8/21/13: I plan on releasing a new post tomorrow , sorry for the delay. 
Edit 8/22/13: Sorry for the delay , I should be able to publish the post tonight. Thank you and keep visiting. Sorry . Not going as planned. Maybe tomorrow. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment