Monday, August 26, 2013

Chicken Pen on a Budget: Part 1: Posts

Today I'm going to talk about how I built my chicken pen on a teenager's budget. When building any pen one of the most expensive things about it will be the posts. So here is how to get them for cheap.
First you need to have cedar trees growing on your property.  Try to find trees 6-8 inches in diameter. I cut mine about 5 feet, 6 inches tall. You have to dig a hole about 4-6 inches deep to keep it secure. Now you can use cement to set the post or you can do what my Grandfather showed me. It's called tamping in. Here is how you do it. After you dig the hole put the post in and put small stones in the hole around it and use something sturdy like a metal rod to hit it in the ground. Do several layers of the rocks and continue tamping them in until the post is secure. Warning: To cut down trees this size you will need a chainsaw and cutting down trees is a dangerous business. So I advise that you have at least 2 people with you. In my case my Dad and Grandfather. Also if you can't dig down 6 inches then it would probably be best to use some cement.guarantee
Here you can see part of the front of the pen and the cedar posts.

Keep visiting , I plan on releasing Part 2 in a couple of days.
                                                              Chickenman 

Edit 8/27/13 : It could be a few days until the next blog post. I hope to have a new one by the weekend but I can't  guarantee .
Just keep checking though.
Edit 9/3/13 : Sorry for the delay I hope to have a new post published Tomorrow : )

No comments:

Post a Comment