Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fodder Project : Part 1: Day 0

When I first got chickens I assumed you had to have chicken feed for them right ? No. Feed is the most expensive part of raising chickens so imagine if you could grow your own chicken feed right from home . No I'm not talking about planting tons of acres of wheat, corn, and other grains. I'm talking about growing your own feed inside your own home, its called Fodder. Earlier this year we got a magazine and my mom saw an article on fodder. She had me research it some more on the internet. After a few weeks of researching and gathering supplies I started experimenting with the fodder.

Things you will need
Plastic Trays (13"by 9" and 3"tall)
Grain (preferably Barley)
3% Hydrogen Peroxide 
Metal Trash can with tight lid


Metal Trash Can (prevents rain and pests from getting in)




Barley (must be unhulled , not heat treated , and not pearled)

Field Peas ( I use these for extra calcium)
                                        




I weigh out a pound of the grains ( 1 half pound Barley, 1 half pound Field Peas ). After you weigh the grain pour about half a teaspoon of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide on the grains. Mix with your hands so that the peroxide is on all the grain (the 3% hydrogen peroxide helps prevent mold which can be deadly to chickens) .  Then take the grain and rinse in a strainer in the sink with cool water , rinse it for at least 20 seconds.

This is the grain after rinsing 



Then put grain in a large bowl and cover with water.


Here is the grain soaking in the water.
Now cover the soaking grain with a towel or something ( I have found that soaking in the dark helps in the long run) and let it soak for at least about 27 hours.
I'm sure I have piqued your interest by now, but I will leave you hanging until tommorow when we do the next step on growing fodder. One more thing, I'm telling you how I have done my fodder, but I have found that growing fodder is a lot of trial and error. So it will require you to experiment for your self. I hope you have enjoyed this . Keep checking for more on the Fodder Project.

Chickenman

I will try and make sure I have a new post ready by tommorow.
Thanks and keep visiting

No comments:

Post a Comment